Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Old Service


Here is an old sub panel service entrance. Lights were dimming inside the house when any circuits were being used. I climbed on the roof to check out the service entrance because the sub panel was new and all of the neutrals wires were tightened in the lugs. A hornet flew out of the weather head when I removed it, and it was full of its nest. The neutral and hot were laying on top of each other because the plastic holder had broken. If the hot and neutral touch, there will be a short. One hot leg, and the neutral that was laying on top of it, had black marks, indicating some shorting. For now, until I replace the weather head altogether, I taped the neutral and hot leg wires extensively. I will also re-splice the neutral because the aluminum wire right near the splice is rusted dramatically.